There are several organizations and entities that are major donors and supporters of HIV research. While this list is by no means complete, some of the largest donors and supporters include:
1. The National Institutes of Health (NIH): The NIH is the primary federal agency responsible for conducting and supporting medical research in the United States. It provides funding for HIV research through various institutes and centers, including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
2. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation: This private foundation, established by Bill and Melinda Gates, has made significant contributions to HIV research and prevention efforts. It has invested in research to develop new HIV prevention and treatment technologies, as well as efforts to improve access to existing treatments in low- and middle-income countries.
3. The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria: The Global Fund is an international organization that aims to support and improve the fight against these three major diseases. It has invested billions of dollars in HIV research and prevention efforts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
4. The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS): UNAIDS is a partnership between the United Nations and other organizations that aims to support and coordinate the global response to HIV and AIDS. It provides funding and support for HIV research, as well as efforts to improve access to prevention and treatment services.
5. The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI): CHAI is a non-profit organization that aims to improve access to health care in low- and middle-income countries. It has made significant contributions to HIV research and prevention efforts, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.
6. The Gilead Sciences: Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that is known for developing, manufacturing and selling antiviral drugs, including some of the most widely used drugs for the treatment of HIV and hepatitis B.
7. The Elton John AIDS Foundation: The Elton John AIDS Foundation is a charitable organization established by the famous singer Elton John. It supports the global response to HIV and AIDS, with a focus on preventing new infections and providing support for people living with HIV.
These organizations, among others, play a critical role in funding and supporting HIV research, helping to improve the prognosis for people living with HIV and to find a cure for the virus.
*This article was produced with the assistance of artificial intelligence. Please always check and confirm with your own sources, and always consult with your healthcare professional when seeking medical treatment.